What are actually the causes of poor range?
These are diverse, and often there is an interplay of factors, such as:
- Well-insulated office buildings and homes. The glass and insulation materials dampen the ringing signal.
- An environment with forests, tunnels, hills or many large buildings: the gsm signal is less good to get through.
- The place from which you call: in remote areas there are often fewer cell towers.
- An advanced smartphone, such as the iPhone 4, 4s or 5, often has less range than the bakeliet phone we walked around with ten years ago. Because of all the technical gadgets, the smartphone has lost signal strength.
- Your provider’s coverage quality and grade.